HIV WORKPLACE POLICY
Royal Decameron Cornwall Beach recognizes the magnitude and severity of the development of HIV/AIDS epidemic worldwide. As a hotel, Royal Decameron Cornwall Beach is committed to the development and implementation of policies and programmes in its local workplace on HIV/AIDS non-discrimination, awareness, prevention and health support.
Is a virus that shows no racial, gender or class boundaries. Royal Decameron Cornwall Beach believes that a person with the HIV or AIDS must be treated on a similar basis to any other employee suffering from a life threatening or chronic disease.
While programs may be locally based and designed to meet local conditions, the overarching policy of HIV/AIDS non-discrimination, awareness, prevention, and health support, applies to all employees of the Company. This company will aim at developing local programs and policies to adhere to the following guidelines:
Consistent with Royal Decameron Cornwall Beach wide global policy on non-discrimination, it is the policy of Royal Decameron to provide a work environment for its employees that is free from harassment and/or discrimination. Colleagues who engage in acts of harassment and/or discrimination are subject to corrective action that may include termination of employment. Accordingly, colleague situations related to HIV and AIDS are governed by the following Principles:
- Royal Decameron Cornwall Beach will not and does not discriminate against colleagues or applicants having, perceived as having, living with or otherwise affected by HIV or AIDS.
- Royal Decameron Cornwall Beach treats HIV/AIDS the same as other illnesses in terms of all our employee policies and benefits, including health and life insurance, disability benefits and leave of absence.
- In accordance with applicable laws, Royal Decameron Cornwall Beach provides reasonable work accommodations when needed for qualified individuals.
- All colleagues must adhere to our non-discrimination policy. Colleagues who refuse to work with, withhold services from, harass or otherwise discriminate against another colleague because of his/her having HIV/AIDS, being perceived as having, living with HIV/AIDS, or being otherwise affected by HIV/AIDS, will be subject to discipline and/or other corrective actions.
Open Door Policy
Royal Decameron Cornwall Beach maintains an "open-door" policy. Colleagues who feel they have been discriminated against as a result of having, being perceived as having, living with or being affected by HIV/AIDS, and those who have any other related concerns, are encouraged to utilize the Open-Door Policy. A colleague who is uncomfortable using the Open-Door Policy (eliminate the change of command) may contact the Hotel Nurse at any of our Decameron Properties
HIV Testing, Confidentiality and Disclosure
- Royal Decameron Cornwall Beach encourages routine, confidential, voluntary testing and counselling as part of its education and awareness programs.
- HIV and AIDS are treated confidentially as medical conditions, in accordance with applicable laws and hotel policies.
- Royal Decameron Cornwall Beach does not require colleagues, their dependents, job applicants or other third parties to undergo HIV testing as a condition of employment or receipt of benefits.
Education and Awareness
Royal Decameron is concerned about the wellness of our colleagues. The company-provided benefits and programs have an important role in preserving the dignity of those colleagues infected with or affected by HIV/AIDS. They serve to help them maintain normal and productive lives. The Company will provide, either directly or through third parties, an integrated education and awareness program focusing on prevention. Such programs could include:
Awareness and Sensitization
As a way of mitigating the spread of HIV in places of work, the Management in collaboration with employees must ensure that they conduct periodic awareness programmers. The Management of Royal Decameron will:
- Ensure that they provide accurate information on the dangers of HIV, the benefits of abstinence, being faithful to one partner and consistent condom use.
- Training for managers and supervisors to communicate and ensure compliance with Royal Decameron’s HIV/AIDS workplace policy and related programs.
- Provide medically accurate, relevant information on HIV/AIDS prevention and treatment, including education and information on effective programs related to "A-B-C" (e.g., abstinence, be faithful, and condoms).
- Provide information on safe sexual practices, prevention of sexually transmitted diseases and overall health promotion including information on substance abuse.
- Provide information on voluntary HIV/AIDS testing, referral and counselling services.
Access to Treatment
Employees that are diagnosed with HIV can be productive given proper support, care and treatment. It is therefore the duty of Royal Decameron Cornwall Beach to ensure that workers that have been tested HIV positive are given the right treatment and care. This is available through government-sponsored health care facilities. The Company does not accept responsibility in cases of employees who decline to seek medical treatment, who voluntarily terminate treatment, or who fail to observe the conditions associated with the medication in which they receive from their health care provider. The Company does not accept responsibility for any possible failure or side-effects of the therapy in which they have received from their Health Care Provider.